Engine Problems!

When out sailing, I fired up the motor to return to the slip. The motor seemed like it was laboring and wouldn’t rev past 2000 RPM. Normally redline is about 3700. The engine lugged and within minutes It wouldn’t rev at all. It was stuck at 1000 RPM. I put it into neutral to see if it was something wrapped around the prop and it was the same. Wouldn’t rev. I also got black smoke. I looked up things on the internet and the service manual and the things to test were a clogged air filter or exhaust elbow. I removed the filter, cleaned it, reinstalled it and zero difference. The next thing was to check was a clogged exhaust elbow. I removed the elbow from the engine and looked inside. Poked it a bit with the screwdriver. Reinstalled and the engine idled better. No smoke at idle like before. Tried to rev the engine and it revved to about 2500. This is progress. It may not be completely fixed but maybe I have a clue as to whats wrong.

photo11

photo

photo22

Filed in Maintenance | Comment Now

Catalina Video!

I have been working on editing a quick video of the Catalina trip.  Most of the footage is iPhone 5s, with the exception of 3 GoPro clips.  Pretty amazing what you can do with an iPhone and a laptop these days.

 

 

Filed in Sailing | 1 Comment

Cheeki Rafiki

The yacht Cheeki Rafiki was found capsized in the Atlantic 600 miles offshore. The USCG has stopped searching for the crew. Locating beacons went off but the shipping vessel that spotted the yacht did not see any life raft.

I just signed the petition “.@USCG Restart the search for the missing #CheekiRafiki crew #dontstopsearching” on Change.org.

It’s important. Will you sign it too? Here’s the link:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/uscg-restart-the-search-for-the-missing-cheekirafiki-crew-dontstopsearching?recruiter=97275825&utm_campaign=signature_receipt&utm_medium=email&utm_source=share_petition

Thanks!

John

Filed in Sailing | Comment Now

Always wanted to see these up close….

20140508-170159.jpg

These are the oil rigs off the coast of Huntington Beach. Massive.

20140508-165129.jpg

20140508-165118.jpg

Filed in Uncategorized | Comment Now

Saying goodbye to Catalina

20140508-123016.jpg

What an amazing trip. Jaime (damn can he cook!) grilled tri tip and sausages on the beach at Two Harbors and we laughed and told stories. Woke up this morning took a nice long walk to Catalina Harbor and saw the pacific on the west side of the island. It was amazing. Now we are motoring back and hoping to get some wind so we can open up the sails and sail on home. The forecast is 13 knots so we should have a mellow sail back in. The next trip is a 3 day around the island.

Enjoy some of the images.

20140508-123122.jpg

20140508-123059.jpg

Filed in Uncategorized | Comment Now

Sunrise

No words needed.

20140508-065028.jpg

Filed in Uncategorized | Comment Now

What a difference a day makes!!!!

20140507-154420.jpg

Yesterday would have been absolutely miserable. Today it’s fantastic!!! Amazing weather. Good wind!

Filed in Uncategorized | Comment Now

From Choppy To Paradise!

20140507-121709.jpg

The first 3 hours were somewhat miserable. Chop. Heading right into it. What was I thinking about even considering going into 10′ waves yesterday! Well today it’s 3-5 and it’s soupy and miserable. Until about 10 miles from Catalina and now is amazing. Deep blue water. Nice breeze and smooth ocean!

Filed in Uncategorized | Comment Now

All systems go!

Weather forecast looks great! Might be a tad choppy but looks like we will have wind on the way there and back.

Filed in Uncategorized | Comment Now

Weather Delay

  • No dates present
  •  

    Because of the weather forecast, I have decided that the safety of the crew and the boat are of the utmost  importance and because there is a forecast of gale force winds with gusts of up to 40 mph and waves in the 10 ft area, its not a safe thing to do…so We are delaying the trip for 24 hours at this point and are going to reassess the situation tomorrow.  Here is a quick look at the weather data…

     

    Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 6.40.07 PM

     

    Tuesday morning the wind goes from big to wild…then goes to 30 mph with gusts to 40.  Wave height is 9 feet with an 8 second interval.  If we went we would be miserable.  So we can wait a day, its forecast to be 4 feet waves and 15 mph winds.  Much better for sailing.

    Filed in Sailing | Comment Now